Tuesday, September 11, 2007

when all else fails

I am in a foul mood today.

I woke up that way, but it got consistently worse. Lovely daughter is driving my car to school and work until we decide what to do with her sad, wrecked vehicle. I went outside to evaluate said vehicle, started it up and drove it a bit. It smelled funny, like it was a little hot. I pulled into the driveway, popped the hood, and checked the antifreeze. Bone dry. So I thought I should probably check the oil. Two quarts low. Hubby is always prepared for the end of the world, confirmed pessimist that he is, so I went into the garage, picked up a bottle of antifreeze and two quarts of oil and went to work. Damn, I showed her how to do that at least twice, and asked her once a week if she'd done it. Sometimes I think that girl will be the death of me.

Back into the truck, off to Wal-Mart. I actually despise Wal-Mart, but I needed to replenish hubby's doomsday stash, pick up some OJ, a plant for my youngest boy's aquarium, and a couple of scatter rugs to save my back from the tile on my kitchen floor. Yes, I hate Wal-Mart, but where else can you do that in one trip?

Back from shopping, I unloaded the truck, let Jack out of his crate and put on some music. I selected one of my favorite play lists on my MP3 player and logged on to the computer to check in with you, lovely readers, my favorite bloggers. I've made the rounds, made a few comments, and voila, I am boucoup better.

What cheered me up:

Missing You by John Waite
Hurt by Johnny Cash
Open Arms by Journey
Beth by Kiss
The Road Between by Lisa Marie Presley
Love Don't Live Here Anymore by Madonna
I Want to Come Over by Melissa Etheridge
Torn by Natalie Imbruglia
Northern Sky By Nick Drake
How You Remind Me by Nickelback
Don't Speak by No Doubt
Champagne Supernova by Oasis
Is it a Crime? by Sade
When I'm with You by Sheriff
Redemption Day by Sheryl Crow
It's Been a While by Staind
Don't Stand So Close to Me by The Police
Free Fallin' by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Drops of Jupiter by Train
The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia by Vicky Lawrence
A Horse with No Name by America
Maggie May by Rod Stewart
Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin
Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O'Connor
Walk Away by Bree Sharp
China Girl by David Bowie
Bringing on the Heartbreak by Def Leppard
Jolene by Dolly Parton (although the White Stripes version would do)
Kissing a Fool by George Michael
Beautiful Boy by John Lennon
David Duchovny by Bree Sharp

I know every word of every verse of every song. These are songs I love. I put this list on when I am feeling blue and want to feel better. I am usually the kind of person who listens to whole albums, in order, but there are times when a list is just better. Today this list fit the bill.

A little eclectic, maybe a little boring, but it's one of my favorite playlists.

I thought it might be fun to see if anyone else has my taste. This is a tad obscure, but I have given you the name of the artist in my list. Do you know the song or the artist?

I stutter like a broken clutch
When you touch me too much
My tongue gets twisted in your twirl
You say I'm not your kinda girl
A spider underneath my skin
I want you out
I want you in
The venom and the vaccine swirl
You say I'm not your kinda girl

What kind of girl should I be?
The kind of girl who doesn't see
That you're lookin' at me
Like you wanna be seein' someone else
Somebody else

You rip the sureness from my stare
And throw the pieces in the air
Your fingers string me like a pearl
You say I'm not your kinda girl
It's not a secret anymore
What you keep me around for
And my excuses all unfurl
I'm not that kinda, kinda girl

What kind of girl should I be?
The kind of girl who doesn't see
That you're lookin' at me
Like you wanna be seein' someone else
Somebody else

See somebody else
See somebody else
See somebody else
See somebody else

I want you to see somebody
I want you to see somebody

I want you to see somebody else

21 comments:

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

That song doesn't ring any bells but I'm impressed with your eclectic taste. And that you think to check the antifreeze and oil. I washed my car today and noticed a pin sticking out of the tire. So it's off tomorrow to have the tire boys check it out. I'm a real wimpy girl when it comes to cars.

Kim said...

I wasn't sure if my taste was eclectic or just odd.

I'm a farmgirl, WUASTC. You'd be surprised at the things I know how to do!

Willowtree said...

That really is an eclectic list, but way more than half of them would be welcome on my playlists, and some are already there.

Beautiful Boy is one of my all time favourite songs. Here's a bit more trivia, Natalie Imbruglia grew up about a mile form my place on the Coast.

You may be interested in this...
http://www.rotfflol.com/?id=452

laurie said...

i love a lot of those songs, too. especially sinead o'connor. what a set of pipes.

do you have bob dylan's Modern Times? if not, email me and i'll send you a copy. (truly.) i love it. and it would fit right in on that list.

i haven't listened to janis joplin sing bobby mcgee in 20 years, i'll bet. but the second i saw those words i could hear her voice.

ps my brother has a doomsday stash, too, but it's food. it's in the kitchen, in a certain cupboard, behind a curtain, and nobody in the house is allowed to raid it.

it must be an Okie thing....

Kim said...

Willow, I adore John Lennon's music. I was in 8th grade when Double Fantasy came out and he was killed. I remember getting out my mother's copy of Sgt. Pepper's on vinyl and listening to them alternately the day after he died.

I knew Natalie Imbruglia was an Aussie, but a mile from you? How cool.

I'll check it out. Thanks, Willow!

Kim said...

Who would have ever imagined Sinead O'Connor covering Prince could be so divine? That woman can sing.

I have Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde, but I don't have Modern Times.

Janis singing that song is of a certain era, isn't it? Kris Kristofferson sure can write a good tune.

If that one took you back, how about Melanie singing about her brand new roller skates?

Oh, yes, Laurie, we are ready for the apocalypse here in the great state of Oklahoma. Food, water, batteries, and everything you can think of to keep a car running. It is something I don't share with many people. ;) And now he wants a safe room. If I keep indulging him, we'll have a whole other house underground.

Kim said...

Oh, Willow, that was really funny. That Natalie Imbruglia is really a good sport, isn't she? It was even funnier when she joined in.

Willowtree said...

Yeah, I was surprised at her joining in too, that shows a good sense of humour. It looked like an Amnesty International event, so it also showed a bit of social conscience.

Here's a couple more bits of useless trivia... her sister sings too, but her stuff is pretty raw, sort of new wave punk. I don't know if you know it or not, but Natalie Imbruing is married to Daniel Johns the singer guitarist for silverchair, and he grew up about five miles from my place.

Willowtree said...

WTF? I think my spellcheck changed Natalie's surname because I didn't spell it like that!

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I think you need a long holiday in a faraway place, tropical beaches and no one to annoy you!! Great blog. If you do away, take your laptop and keep in touch.

Crystal xx

wakeupandsmellthecoffee said...

My mother has a bird flu stash. And one of my childhood friend's fathers built a bomb shelter (that's how old I am) in their garage. It was lined with steel and full of canned food. I used to love to go in there and play.

laurie said...

my email address is on my profile page, kaycie.

email me and i'll send you Modern Times.

and yeah, melanie.... i've been trying to get that song out of my head since reading it on your list!!!

the rotten correspondent said...

What a great playlist you've got. Pretty much something for every mood. There's something so comforting about a song that you know backwards and forwards and always makes you smile.

I like the whole being prepared for doomsday scenario, myself. Saves on the trips to Wal-Mart. It's funny. I went yesterday too, even though I hate the place. But I needed saute pans, rat food, cranberry juice and a scientific calculator. Where else could I go? Target doesn't carry pet stuff.

I slunk in and slunk out and hoped I didn't see anyone I knew.

Kim said...

Crystal, I'd love to go away, at least for a long weekend. Instead, I indulged in a long soak in the whirlpool tub this morning. That will have to do.

WUASTC, I remember the yellow and black signs posted on all the buildings with a bomb shelter inside. But I never knew anyone who had their own. It always seemed those buildings had wonderful large basements. My ballet class was in one when I was little.

I'm glad you liked my play list, RC. I always prefer to go to the SuperTarget, but they don't have a big selection in automotives so I was off to Wal-Mart yesterday. I wore my sunglasses until I was sure I hadn't been seen. ;)

I'm surprised no one knows my song. Is it really that obscure?

laurie said...

RC, you bought rat food? around here, we poison 'em.

Fire Byrd said...

For me cheer up music just has to be motown, and anything else i can dance round the kitchen to.
You have a whirlpool tub.... ooohh I'm envious.
pxx

Kim said...

I like motown, too, Pixie. I think it's the rhythm of a song that makes it work for me.

Yes, I do love that whirpool tub.

Thanks for coming by. It's nice to have you.

Cait O'Connor said...

I love quite a few from your eclectic list, I'm like you I have a very wide taste in music.
I don't recognise the lyrics, not a Madonna is it?

Kim said...

I noticed that you have a lot of things on your playlist that I like, too. No, it's not Madonna. It's a song by Bree Sharp called "Not Your Girl". I think I may have been a little too obscure with the lyrics. You might like her, she writes lovely music and very smart lyrics. The album is called "A Cheap and Evil Girl".

Jo said...

Oh I like your taste in music! I'm also still stuck on Walk On Water by Eddie Money from my youth. lol

Kim said...

Thanks, Jo. I like to listen to some newer stuff, but there is something special about those oldies.